Wednesday, April 21, 2021

New Stencils: ATCs, Leaves, and a Sweet Floral!

I am super excited to unveil my three new stencils from StencilGirl® Products! Three stencils may not sound like a lot, but there's a whole lot of design packed into a few little sheets of mylar. Best of all, they work beautifully with my first stencil collection, Lemurian Garden.

Here's a short video that shows how I made the double-sided background design above, which I later used to make the folded business card holder and the upcycled round container in the photo.

If you want a good "bang for your buck" my 9” x 12” ATC Mix Up is really great value. I developed a wonderful variety from my doodles, sketches, silkscreens, and fabric designs. I also adapted a few of my larger Lemurian Garden designs to fit an ATC.

There are nine ATC sized designs, and the 9th (on the bottom right of the stencil) can be further divided into two stencils. The top is a 2.5" x 2.5" turning square design that can be repeated to create a variety of tile patterns, and the small 1" x 2.5" stylized wave at the bottom can be separated from the turning square to make a 10th design.

Click here or here or here or here to see some of the artwork that inspired this collection.

Here's some samples I made from the 9"x12" ATC Mix Up:

The 10 design, from top left to bottom right: dobbie, small Lemurian spiral, millefleur, stylized art, small Lemurian leaf, tiger lily, small pansy, silkscreened tulip, turning square tile, and stylized wave.

Above are some samples made from my new ATC designs. I especially enjoyed flipping and repeating the stylized word ART to create the abstract design on the bottom left. The brown ATC on the top right uses my 10th stencil, the stylized wave.

When I was working on art using my first collection, I realized that I didn't have any small leaves. I kept pulling out a couple old favorite art foamie stamps and adding them to my paintings and journal pages.

Lo and behold, tucked away in a drawer, was a whole file of leaf doodles! So, I pulled out the sketches and developed the new 6" x 6" Lemurian Leaves stencil.

 

This greeting card was done in fall colors using sepia ink and Patina Oxide embossing powder on a yellow ochre painted piece of watercolor paper.

Another greeting card was made from the Lemurian Leaves using aqua paint sponged onto watercolor paper, leaves printed in indigo ink, and trimmed with ribbon, a paper strip, and a folk art heart.

Last, but certainly not least, is my sweet 4" x 4" Blooming Violet. It was too square to include on the ATC Mix Up, and like the leaves, goes beautifully with not only my first stencil collection, the Lemurian Leaves, and the ATC Mix Up, but stands on its own as well.


The Blooming Violet was used in overlapping pastel colors to create this serene design.


I used a gelliplate to print the Blooming Violet, which allowed the creation of a positive/negative design. I cut the prints into strips and pieced them together to create the artwork seen here. The crackly texture is characteristic of gelliprints.

Here are a few more samples so you can see how versatile the designs are, and how many possibilities they have for your ATCs, greeting cards, journal pages and paintings.

The vase shape was hand-drawn, and stencils from the ATC Mix Up applied using indigo ink and a cosmetic sponge. The tablecloth is the tile design, also from the ATC Mix Up, and the flowers and leaves are from the Lemurian Leaves and the ATC Mix Up.
 
A stenciled piece of deli paper was scanned, then flipped and repeated in Photoshop to create this banner design.


 
 
I used the positive/negative prints from a gelliplate to create this "turning square" tile-inspired design. I pieced together the best four prints, scanned them, then repeated the image in Photoshop to create this paper, which I can print from my color printer as needed.
    
I hope you'll enjoy using my new stencils as much as I enjoyed designing them!


























1 comment:

Jill McDowell said...

What great tidbits of inspiration Linda! These are going to be a great addition to my set. Your designs are wonderful!