Sunday, March 20, 2011

Organic Cave Hunters


For Lisa Lisa Lou's March ATC swap on Facebook, the theme was 'organic.' That covers a lot of bases, so I couldn't decide what to do...natural fabrics? earthy colors? collect wrappers from organic food and collage them? use flowing, gentle organic shapes? paint with natural dye, like beet juice?

Finally I decided to go the earth theme, earth route: I took an old fabric design that I made years ago of cave hunters and cattle. I printed it from my computer on a homespun type ecru rough-hewn cotton [I ironed freezer paper to the back of the fabric and cut it 8.5 x 11], added hand needlefelting in earth/rust colors at the top and bottom, and a small feather. I left the side edges rough [seemed more rustic] and did the stitching by hand.

No comments: