Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Up-Cycled Paintbrush Doll


What do you do with those old paintbrushes in the bottom of your utility closet? Or stuck in a corner in the garage? Throw them out? No, make dolls, of course!

Years ago I would have tossed the old brushes in the trash, deeming them worthless with their paint stains and twisted bristles. Now I collect them!

For my first paint brush doll, I ordered a really nice kit from Retro Cafe Arts. But for many that followed, I changed the size of the arms, and base, and face and even the paintbrush to "make it my own."

For this doll, I started with some black cardstock paper, and using a stencil from StencilGirl, applied white and pale green acrylic with a cosmetic sponge. 

Next, I cut parts for the arms, body and crown. I used a big moon face from ArtTeaLife's Etsy shop, onecrabapple. 

For stability, I glued the face and body parts to recycled cardboard from a cereal box. I put the parts together using brads, which make it poseable and add visual interest.

Last but not least, I added part of a favorite quote from Maggie Kuhn, founder of the Gray Panthers, who advocated for the rights of elderly people. I was a shy child, and can still remember the terror of having to stand in front of the class to read or present a project. It took years, and a college class in public speaking, to be comfortable in front of a crowd, and sometimes I can still hear my voice shake, but I keep talking anyway.



4 comments:

Jill McDowell said...

She’s got such a great shape! What a cool way to upcycle an old paintbrush. This would be fun to perch next to my desk, especially with that quote since I’m still uncomfortable about speaking in front of a group.

Art Tea Life said...

Fabulous brush doll ! Great story ! Thank You ~ S.

Braids57 said...

Art is powerful. She is magnificent.

sonja said...

so kool Linda !like the place to put a quote or a pronouncement.
your art continues to shine! Sonja