Sunday, February 26, 2012

Favorite Abstract Modern Painters

I am working on an ATC project about favorite artists. I love so many artists it was hard to choose, but I settled on two abstract painters: French artist and fabric designer Sonia Delaunay (1885-1979)and American painter Richard Deibenkorn (1922-1993).

I puttered with an assortment of paints and color-giving art supplies--watercolors, chalk pastels, oil pastels and watercolor pencils. Working on 2.5" x 3.5" ATCs kind of cramped my style, so I used a big sheet of good quality Japanese rag watercolor paper, penciled in the space for 16 ATCs, and left 1/2 inch between them.

I did about half ala Deibenkorn, and half ala Delaunay. The overall effect was kind of interesting, so I snapped a picture of it before cutting them down to size. I almost didn't cut them, and thought about saving the whole piece as a single painting, but decided to go ahead and cut them up, resolving that my next artquilt should be a Deibenkornish piece painted on tyvek or thin paper, then quilted.

I have been busy with new art supplies, new techniques, and new ideas, so it was really nice to revisit plain old paper and paint. It reinforced one of my art 'rules': NEVER skimp on art supplies. Buy the best paints, paper and brushes that you can afford. The colors will be richer, the paint will stay where you want it to and go on properly, and the texture will be right. Skip the new clothes, the restaurant meal, but splurge on art supplies. You won't be sorry.

2 comments:

Gale Wrigley said...

Wow, you're right about almost not cutting it up. It's terrific! I bet you're gonna get some killer ATCs from this - can't wait to see them! I'm with you on the art supplies - skip that new pair of shoes and go for the art stuff!

Yvonne Moxon said...

These are great I love them, and Im so with you on the art supplies rule, it does make a difference, will look better and they just feel better to work with. Yvonne