Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Most Unusual Hendrick's Gin Man

Hendrick's Gin has a really quirky ad campaign going on. I recognized the royalty free antique image that they used as the base of the ad since I had used it in some of my previous artwork.

I spotted the black and white ad in a magazine and saved it in my collage box. On Saturday, I decided it was time to see what I could do with it.

I added some color with brush tipped Tombow markers, a strip of vintage newsprint with spray paint on it, washi tape, a mini top hat and little vintage male paper doll legs. (royalty free Graphics Fairy images)

The orange and purple strips are from some paper scraps--I tried to make some art in the style of Jeanne Williamson, who is known for her work with construction fence.

It called out for some Artistcellar mini steampunk gears from their pocket stencil series. I used Inka Gold creamy paint, which goes on very smoothly and perfectly through a stencil, even for a sloppy artist who is super impatient and always hurrying.

Last but not least, I added words with mismatched mini alphabet blocks that seemed to express the mood of the quirky man.

According to the Graphics Fairy, the "graphic is from an 1880’s wholesale Pharmacy Catalog, for some Eye Guards /Goggles, to be warn while driving, bicycling etc."

No comments: