Monday, September 26, 2016

Arty Envelopes: Making Ordinary Items Beautiful

Mail Art. I love receiving beautiful, hand painted envelopes, especially when they have international postmarks and stamps. For a new Paper Traders exchange, we will be trading decorative envelopes.
Front of a finished envelope
Using a favorite size envelope as a template, I traced the shape on several pieces (double thick) of painted deli paper. They looked pretty good just with splashes of color, but I went another step and added stencils. 



I also was required to add a mailing label, which changed the whole look. To offset the big chunk of white in the middle, I added strips of other designs, washi tape and stamping.

.
Mail Art envelope: painted deli paper, stamps, stencils, paper strips, newsprint.





For other envelopes, I used some ho-hum leftover artwork, traced on the template, and cut to size. Once it was cut and folded, a sort of boring design became a very striking envelope. I especially liked the NYC stencil, from Michelle Ward's exclusive collection at The Ink Pad NYC.

Stenciling experiment
Artwork cut to envelope template shape
Back of finished envelope

3 comments:

sonja said...

cropping yielded amazing envelopes. miss them.

michelle ward said...

wonderful Linda!

morgansilk said...

Collage alert! These are wonderful.