Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Scrappy Happy


One of my favorite things to do with leftover scraps of fabric, thread and yarn is to make 'scrappy' fabric. I read about it in an Embellishments newsletter and was hooked. Basically you gather up a bunch of pretty fabric and thread scraps, plop them down artfully between two layers of clear, water-soluble stabilizer, and stitch all over. You have to cover it well with stitches: I use a variety of designs and colors. Then you wash out the stabilizer in cold water and !viola! you have your own handmade fabric. I use it to cover journals mostly, and add a place-marker made from braided yarn or a ribbon strip with some handmade tyvek beads for adornment. This is a photo of today's scrappy as it was drying in the sun on my deck.

1 comment:

NEEDLEWINGS said...

Oh I like! I like very much!