Sunday, September 12, 2010

Scrappy & Tyvek Bracelets


I love to putter with recycled elements. Two of my favorite therapies are making scrappy fabric from bits of leftover cloth, yarn and ribbon. Another favorite thing is making beads from old USPS and FedEx tyvek mailers. So, I put the two together for a recent art challenge and made bracelets for my Kokoma group.

I sewed a little piece of velcro onto them for the closure, edged them with a contrasting blanket stitch, and decorated with tyvek beads. The four pieces are scattered around the globe: NY (me), Greece (Jo), Hawaii (Sonja) and Texas (Kate).

A group called Threads of Sanity spun out of Art for Mail 17, then we lost members and four of us formed Kokoma. [Kokoma stands for keep on keeping on making art...after the old 60s expression keep on keeping on]. The three other Kokoma women taught me much of what I know and helped me grow tremendously as a fiber artist, and the bracelets are my way of saying thank you.

4 comments:

Gabriela said...

Hi! How are you? Haven't talked to you in a while!
Love the cuffs!

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

Hi Gab! I was thinking of you the other day...I was needlefelting and remembered that some of you wool came from you. I never quite got the hang of making those little wool beads though; I will have to try again. Haven't done a FAT exchange lately...so busy w/ work mostly.

janice pd said...

aaaackkkk...I want one! These are way too cool and I love everything about them. hmmmmm, maybe you should sell them?

sonja said...

Hey Linda!
i am a lucky one! i wore the cuff you made to a womens and sewing expo a few weeks ago which was the just right palce to show off your artwork to an audience that truely gets it! i now have a tan line when i take it off to water garden from going to mailbox and back! thanks heeps!