Monday, April 11, 2011

Earth Day 2011


For the LisaLisaLou ATC trade [on facebook] this month, the theme is our planet. Since April 22 is Earth Day, what better way to honor the earth than use recycled materials? The background for my cards was made from a discarded tyvek FedEx mailing envelope. I slit it open, painted the inside with Lumiere acrylic paint and heat distressed it by ironing the painted surface. It crinkled up nicely and gave an irregular bumpy surface that reminded me of a topigraphical map of the earth. I couldn't resist my inner 70s hippie, so I cut a peace sign out of a recycled coffee sleeve, threaded a strip of sewable, woven copper fabric [real copper...my only non-recycled item, leftover from a previous project] and added a strip of sheer copper ribbon and machine zig-zag stitched it all together. The symbolic wrapping of the peace sign around the painted earth is a statement on how badly the planet needs healing.

The LisaLisaLou trades, run by artist Lisa Fulmer, are open to anyone, beginners or experts. We send one card with a self-addressed stamped envelope, and get one in return. No big committment, no hassle, lots of fun.

1 comment:

sonja said...

nice colors and good use of materials. happy earthday everyday!