Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Slicing and Dicing My Circle Quilt





The circle quilt, using my original fabric (along with a few commercial prints and checks) is about half done. I haven't done the final stitching yet, but have it pinned together and am pretty happy with the results. I would like to try one on a larger scale (this has nine 4" squares) and maybe one with squares rather than circles.

The photos show my "watercolor butterfly" fabric before and after I sliced into the layers to reveal the fabric underneath, the 10 layered and reverse appliqued blocks[I made one extra just in case I needed it], and the 36 little pieces rearranged and ready to be stitched. All in all, I am pretty happy with this new technique, and relieved to find a use for my fabrics. [the fabrics are available at spoonflower.com. Just sign in, then do a search for Edzellinni to see my line]

3 comments:

Judy Warner said...

This looks really great with the circles now quartered. But, I am confused. You mention reverse applique and 36 little pieces. Are the circles made by a combination of exposing the fabric underneath and using the cut out pieces on other squares? However you did it, I like the effect. Great way to use the fabrics.

janice pd said...

I'm a little confused too, Judy. I think this is two different versions? I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this with our fabrics Linda. Good choices on the commercial pieces you put with it, too.

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

Oh, i just assumed it was a known technique, sorry. I made nine/10 piles of 4-5 squares each, stitched lopsided circles, cut away layers to reveal the hidden pieces. Then i cut each of the 9 4" squares into quarters=36 2" pieces. I shuffled the 36 around for a new arrangement.